Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pit Stop BBQ (Competition Style)


WAXAHACHIE: Pit Stop BBQ
3901 S Highway 287

Waxahachie, TX 75165

972-921-1304

Open Daily 11-9

www.pitstopbbq.net


Competition style is how they bill the product offered here at Pit Stop BBQ, and you'll need and eagle eye while strolling down Highway 287 if you want to grab a bite of it. I was headed south between Waxahachie and Ennis and had it marked on my Iphone's map, and I still had to backtrack to find it. Inside, the dining room is divided between a comfortable tented enclosure and an enclosed air-conditioned portion with just a few booths. Orders are placed at an elevated window, and I opted for the usual two-meat plate.



Competition style may sound titillating, unless you've judged one. Then you'd know that the meat is overseasoned and oversauced to a point that the one or two bites ingested by the judges will leave an impression that will hopefully result in a high score. It isn't meat that's made for a meal, and this was no different. Brisket had been trimmed into uniform rectangles that were devoid of fat, crust, a smokering and smoke. The beef broth that had been brushed onto the meat to keep the slices moist was the overwhelming flavor, and it wasn't pleasant. Speaking of overwhelming, the amount of cumin in the thick rib rub overpowered most anything else that went into these ribs. They were certainly moist, but had been overcooked a bit and struggled to stay attached to the bone when I picked them up off the plate. This isn't the texture they seek in competitions, and the mushiness wasn't how I was hoping to end my BBQ day. Instead I headed to Randy's for some good smokey, fatty, crusty brisket ends to satisfy my non-competition style cravings.

Rating **

Pit Stop BBQ on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

KB said...

Heh. Evidently, finding the place must have been an issue because now they have some very bright blue sirens going non-stop.

I've been wondering: Unless owned by the same family, which I doubt, why would you pick the name "Pit BBQ" when just a couple of miles away in Waxahachie is a "BBQ Pit" restaurant? Like, of the 20 million names they could think of, they just decided to transpose the one of the only good BBQ place in the area?

Gipson said...

That brisket looks depressing. Pallid, dry ... I can feel that crumbly texture on my tongue.

Anonymous said...

I actually really like the bbq there, and we eat a lot of bbq all over the place. Plus, the place is a lot of fun. The beans are really good too. I'd rather have a trimmed brisket than a super fatty one, so maybe my taste is just not the same as yours.

Anonymous said...

@KB Prob at little late but I think the name is cause it's close to the race track (even though it is a drag track). Also..."The Pit" in town is closed.

Unknown said...

I have to strongly disagree with your opinion of this restaurant. This is the best BBQ we've had since moving here 5 years ago. The meat certainly is NOT overseasoned or oversauced. I enjoy meat that is full of flavor & tender & that is exactly what I got.

Sheri said...

I have to disagree with you. Ribs are SUPPOSED to fall off of the bone! I much prefer not to have to pick around all of the fat on a brisket, but just enjoy the trimmed meat. They obviously go to a lot of trouble to prepare it like that for their customers. I think it's some of the best BBQ I've had.

JDL said...

Best BBQ around is served here..never ever had a problem with any of it. The Ribs won first place in a competition a few weeks ago...the trophy is proudly displayed. We love the Pit Stop...love the setting..and the owners are wonderful people. If you want good BBQ, live music on Friday and Saturday night under the stars, head on down to Reagor Springs to the PIT STOP BBQ Restaurant..between Waxahachie and Ennis on HWY 287.

Laura said...

My Dad and my Uncle worked in BBQ business all their lives so I have been around a lot of BBQ. This is good BBQ. The meat is great and I love the ribs. The veggies are good too. The people that run the place care about their customers and work hard to please them.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT