Monday, March 28, 2011

BBQ in the News


Texas Monthly's own Pat Sharpe provides her ode to the brisket in this month's issue. Without irony she writes "We love brisket because cooking it is a spiritual path". Amen.

For some insight to a man who has successfully charted that spiritual path towards brisket perfection, check out this video chat with Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue in Austin.

Also from Texas Monthly is a story I just discovered since I was a month or two behind in my reading. TM provided their list of the 175 most important moments in Texas history. One of the few food related moments came to the list from Pat Sharpe, and that was the opening of Kreuz Market 111 years ago in Lockhart.

A local list of great up and coming Oak Cliff eateries was written by Sarah Eveans of Quick DFW. The list of course includes Lockhart Smokehouse and Luckie's among some other non-BBQ options.

Smoke gets a little love from John T. Edge by way of Garden & Gun magazine, but they don't have the story online.

If you can find an issue of Taste of the South Magazine (I can't), then you can read an article by the boys at Man Up Texas BBQ.

Finally, if you'd like to check out my recently published review of Peggy Sue BBQ in D Magazine, I'd love to hear your thoughts whether you agree or disagree with my assessment.

- BBQ Snob

1 comment:

whargoul said...

OK, I have to give Kreuz another shot. I've only had it once and it was rather gross, but I keep hearing about how good it is so I guess I need to try it again.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT